Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 months ago

Fruit lies issues? 10 points!!?

I have a lot of fruit lies in my kitchen area and living room. Anyone know how i can get rid of these fruit flies? Thank you!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Put a jar on the counter with a piece of banana in it.   Wait a day.   Then quickly put the lid on the jar and take it outside.  

To get rid of them permanently, you have to figure out what is attracting them.   If you have any food sitting out, you have to put it away.    Anything from a cantaloupe on the counter to a piece of pizza your kid dropped under the couch could be attracting them.   Keep your kitchen trash and compost in airtight containers.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I love it, fruity lies in the kitchen!

• 8 months ago

Find out where you have left fruit rinds or pieces in a garbage can or something and dispose of them.Fruit flies have a very short life span and will disappear after the food source is gone.

• 8 months ago

You can make an effective fruit fly trap from a 2 liter soda bottle and cider vinegar. That plus cleaning your kitchen counters will get rid of most of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Try to observe where they are coming from - and not all tiny flies are fruit flies, there are sewage flies too, which are a whole other issue to deal with!

• 8 months ago

Get some flypapers and hang them from your light fitting.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There are several ways to get rid of them, from bottles of something sweet to a dish of cider vinegar. 

Realistically though, it just needs a Complete cleaning of your kitchen-with bleach-top to bottom. 

• 8 months ago

I've just had the same problem. It's easily sorted.

In a small dish put out some apple cider vinegar, which attracts the flies. Add a little washing up liquid to it. It breaks the vinegar's surface tension and drowns the flies. 

The first night, I must have had about 50 flies in the bowl. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.