Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesOther - Arts & Humanities · 2 months ago

Is Dustbunny a weird name?

I have gender issues and have been struggling to find a name I like. Weirdly enough, the name I'm most comfortable with is Dustbunny. Is that too weird or...?

That sounds like a low self-esteem nickname.  Dust bunnies are what you get in corners you neglect.  It reminds me of a person who went by the internet handle "deadwood" because that's what her dad called her until the day he died.  Perhaps "gender issues" is too narrow a focus on its own?  It sounds like you are having trouble finding the place in the world that's comfortable and safe for you, the place where you'll thrive.  That's understandable.  If I were you I'd cast my mind wider and think about how you'd imagine a good life, one where you feel love, warmth and security radiating from yourself and you're just happy to exist, somewhere where you feel like you have a right to take up space and not be relegated to neglected corners.  What would that place look like?  Project yourself there and think about a name that radiates those good feelings.

• Rick

you've met my cat ????   .............................

Nope. You can be Dustbunny if you want. In fact, Dustbunny Undercouch would be a great name.

When you have neglected to dust for too long and the accumulation of dust becomes palpable, the clumps of dust begin to assume a rabbitlike appearance immediately before becoming ambulatory. 

• drip

Sounds like something sweet and over the top one lover calls the other. 

Go with Dusty. 

Not if you're a dog or cat. But I don't like it for a person.

• Marli

Speed, please define "emby" for me. I Googled and it has something to do with being "non-binary". I assume that means identifying as neither male nor female in gender, or does it mean that one day you identify as male and next day as female?  I thought "bisexual" or "bi-gender" or "transgender" was the correct word.  What is the etymology of "emby"?

************************

Anonymous, I would not choose a name that means the household dust that gathers under furniture.  It implies that you have a low self esteem.  "Dusty" is an American West moniker. I would choose it if I was a western person.  "Bunny" was used in Edwardian England for ... well, the men called "Bunny" in books like E.E  Hornung's A J. RAFFLES  mysteries seem effeminate.

Why not choose a surname as your first name? Madison.  Townshend. Chase. Or a plant? I'm fond of Rhubarb as a name. Or the name of a castle or a state or township. (Not Bastard Township, though. What was Simcoe thinking about when he chose that one?)

• John P

Good for a cartoon character. If you work in a relatively 'normal' workplace it might be hard for your colleagues to take you seriously, maybe ok in a hippie environment.  

Gender issues? Is that name intended for a female or a male? Females can get away with outlandish names better than males can. 

I ask 'Speed' - What is 'enby'?  Ah, thanks for that about NB - enby.

• Speed

Lots of enby and trans people choose names that are somewhat unusual, dramatic, or attention-demanding, but to me, Dustbunny is on the other side of the imaginary line of what names are okay.

You could call yourself Bunny, of course. It's not a particularly popular name at the moment, but it's a name. Dustbunny isn't.

Or how about Dusty? Again, a real name, not especially popular now.

Edit: "Enby" is an affectionate way to spell out NB, non-binary, sometimes called genderqueer. Non-binary people don't identify as specifically male or female. Some say they have no gender, others that it's fluid and changes from female to male and back again. They're more likely to use non-gendered pronouns, they/them, or have their pronouns change as they do.

But once you get past the labels, they're all over the place. Some are bisexual, sexually attracted to both genders. Or trisexual, both genders plus other genderqueer people. Or asexual, attracted to nobody. Their romantic interests may align with their sexual interests, or may be completely different, i.e., sexually attracted to men but wanting romantic relationships only with women.

The Wikipedia entry on Non-binary gender is pretty decent, worth reading to educate one's self. These people have always been around, but they are increasingly visible. I know a small number of them now, while ten or fifteen years ago I did not.

Yes that’s a weird name