mi asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Kitten peeing around the house, what do I do?

2 months old, been around for a few weeks now.

Female Domestic Shorthair Tabby.She hasn't got any medical issues (apart from farting out a sulfur/rotten egg/rotten fish smell every time she plays which I'm unsure about.)She poops and pees in her tray regularly but still pees outside of it (I caught her doing it, she was in her peeing position and not spraying.)She doesn't seem stressed, she still plays, relaxes and sleeps normally, she's eating and drinking water fine too. Her actual behaviour has not changed.What could be the reason behind her peeing?

Update:

Wtf did Yahoo do to my paragraphs?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • PR
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is a very small kitten. For a kitten this young, the baby should be kept in your bathroom along with her litter box unless you are directly watching her. 

Then, bring her out to play and put the litter box within about six feet of the kitten. About each ten minutes take the kitten to her box and place her in the box. Keep in mind that a human toddler won't always go in the toilet unless you remind him or her, either. 

If you allow the kitten free run of the house and she develops favorite spots, you will be creating your own problems, which will be hard to break. Also, keep the box clean, but this sounds like a kitten running around the house when she is much too young. This can also create other hazards for the kitten.

If despite these efforts the kitten still urinates outside the box, take back to the vet to be checked for a bladder infection, but more likely you are not keeping the box/kitten in the same very close vicinity nor reminding her of its presence.

If you are new to cats: Keep in mind for future reference, that any time a cat acts too quiet, or doesn't eat like it should,  or is not playing, or just "not herself" is time for a vet visit. Cats are easy: If not themselves, VET VISIT.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

She's very young yet. Keep her sand box clean & clean up wherever she pees. Don't let it dry. She'll grow out of it.

• Laura
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have a tiny 2 month old baby.  Of course she is going to go outside of the litter box.  She is a tiny baby.  

A kitten is not old enough to be considered fully litter trained until they are 4-5 months old.  Your kitten is too small to know to use the litter box 100% of the time.  

There isn't much you can do about this, because it isn't anything that you are doing wrong, and it isn't anything that your kitten is doing wrong.  She is just a tiny baby who is too little to know what to do all the time.  

Clean up her accidents with an enzyme based cleaner, and give er more litter boxes around the house.  She needs at least one box in every room, especially if you have a large house.  

• GF
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The best thing to do is to pee over her pee. This way she'll smell your pee and realize that YOU are the dominant one in the household.

She doesn't like the kitty litter or the box. Maybe try a natural kitty litter, such as Feline Pine. I go to Tractor Supply and buy the Pine Pellets for $5 (40lbs) and use a sifter tray. Sometimes I'll buy the flakes to put underneath the tray and around it if she's been missing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it is only 2 months old and you have had it for a few weeks, it was too young when you got it, you gave it free access to the house to choose where it peed/pooed and it is continuing............. so restrict it space to a room with litter tray and no access to other places it has already peed/pooed

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.