Could I avoid getting copyrighted from music on YouTube by giving credit to the owners in the description or setting it on education purpose?

Update:

I get no fucking respect on this website....

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course you get no respect if you disrespect people by using foul language.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ask the owner.  Some are not SO JEALOUS about grabbing every single cent.  They will want to see if they want their music associated with the topic on your site.

. Many musicians are not political and TRUMP is stealing their music for his rally's.  They want nothing to do with a CRIMINAL.

• MIKE
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

it depends on the copyright owner. Some complain, some dont. If the owner sells the product you are using then they will likely say something but if it was free like for example: art work, then they might not mind so much so long as you give credit

• 2 months ago

The rule is simple.  The Copyright Law of 1975 (and as subsequently amended) says that a work, in total and in part, belongs to its creator.  There are two or three exceptions relating to "fair use" that have to do with using the work for comparisons or to make examples of something in a particular category or genre.  Excerpts of audio or video work cannot exceed a certain time limit.  Excerpts of printed work cannot exceed a certain number of paragraphs.  Sorry, I don't know the rules on still photos.

Giving credit to the owners is not a free ticket to use the work.  Claiming that it will be used for educational purposes might work except that a court challenge of that claim is possible.  The best way to use something legally is to get written permission from the owners.  Note that if you attempt that, the owners have the right to demand a payment (which is technically called a "royalty" in tax language.)

I'm not disrespecting you.  I'm answering your question.  But the fact that I'm giving you a basically negative answer is because, well, it is what it is.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The answer is no. What you can do instead is get permission from the copyright holder. Giving credit to the owners is no excuse for violating copyright laws and you can find yourself in a legal mess. Simple as that.

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

no, but you could get permission from the copyright holder. you know, like a decent human being?

• 2 months ago

Probably. There are a handful of bands who are dead serious about their stuff uploaded by folks on YouTube (Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, The Eagles) to name a few but if you go look at all the music reaction videos on YouTube you’ll see that must don’t get taken down. The worst that will happen if you upload something is YouTube will take it down and notify you why. End of story.

• 2 months ago

You do not seem to know what these terms mean, legally.  Copyright is the protection that the creator or owner of an intellectual property holds.  Educational use permission means that as a teacher, you can duplicate 10 percent or less of a copyrighted work, for teaching purposes only.  Just giving the names of a work's creator, without legal compensation, is against the law.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.