Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

Is driving 40 miles a day too much ?

Is driving 40 miles 5 times a week a lot? 

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

It depends upon the return on investment.  If you make a lot of money commuting it is a good investment.  If you can work a job with similar pay and similar ability to advance closer to home it may not be.

I live in a small county but work in a big city. So I need to drive a distance everyday.

• Sathi

My work commute is 50 miles round-trip. I have a friend who drives three times that far every day. Yuck.

• F

Depends. On a clear road, takes 40 min , no problem. In heavy traffic taking 2 hrs, sheer hell.

• garry

it depends if you like the job , its not to far if you live in the desert or in the wilderness .

Not for a truck driver

Not if you have a need to make that trip that often.

For several years my dad drove about that far every day, and back, to his job as a *trucker*.

Not if you are delivering milk to babies.  I once applied for a job that would have me driving 250 miles per day.  There wasn't nearly enough pay involved.

It's above the average, but not unreasonable.  But it really depends on your tolerance.  

I know people that commute 70 miles each direction(140 miles total) every day.    I also know people that commute less than a mile and basically walk to work every day.  

Some people drive twice that , to work and than back again.  I would not want to drive that far day in and day out, but if the job pays well....