Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 2 months ago

Fact or fiction? Does birth control take 3 months to where off? ?

Hi, I’m trying to conceive. Someone told me that it takes three months for birth control to where off before you can get pregnant. I stopped the pill in beginning of July. 

My period is five days late but I don’t want to get my hopes up if I’m not pregnant. I’m 30 years old and I’m concerned. Is this myth true?? 

I really what to be a mom. 

Favorite Answer

Some take 3 months, some don't. For some people they can get pregnant right away, others it takes time. EVERYONE is different. When it comes to birth control and pregnancy, it just isn't going to be black and white. Some get pregnant while ON birth control, that's why it says 99% effective and not 100.

Because you're 5 days late, there's no reason you couldn't take a pregnancy test. Even if you went to see your doctor, they'd give you one. You're at the perfect timing for one, as you aren't too early. Personally save yourself the headache and ask for a blood test. I've had too many issues with false positives from home tests. Request a blood test :) Good luck!

• F

30 secs in some cases.

• J M

No. It can fail at any time. In some cases it can alter ovulation for many months, but there is no set expiration.

• Jill

Fiction. For some it might happen sooner and some later. There's no 3 month rule. 

Best of luck to you.  

Not a fact as stated in your post.  Different forms of hormonal birth control can have lingering effects on a woman's ability to ovulate and the woman's cycle depending on the type of birth control, the woman's health, and how long the woman used that form of birth control.

Some couples conceive the month they start trying but many do not, whether or not they used birth control previously. Most couples are able to conceive within six months.

• LizB

If can take a cycle or two for your hormones to regulate and your natural fertility to normalize, but probably not 3 months. If you've been on the depo shot it can take longer. However, keep in mind that it takes the average couple 3-6 months of TTC to successfully conceive (and up to a year is considered normal), so if it doesn't happen right away, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong. Getting pregnant immediately after stopping BC is beating the odds, it's not the norm.

• helene

"Someone" is wrong. 

It CAN take a while for your normal ovulation to resume, OR you can get pregnant after missing just a couple pills. Or anything in between.

• y

Not according to my wife and the timing of my first son.

You need to talk to a doctor about this. People on this site can speculate, but only a professional would know for sure. Make ola phone/zoom appointment with your doctor and talk to them about this.