Ross asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Coffee Grinders (Bladed, not Burr) Vs. Spice Grinders?

A very basic question really. I own a generic $20 blade coffee grinder. It's not a $150-$200 Burr grinder, I like coffee but not THAT much. Anyways, sometimes I use my coffee grinder to grind up breadcrumbs for burgers or meatloaf. Sometimes I use it to grind up hardened brown sugar which makes me nervous. Brown sugar can get quite hard and I don't know if it's damaging the blade. So basically I just wanna know what the difference between a coffee and spice grinder really is, because to my knowledge they're the same thing with different names. Can a coffee grinder be used to grind spices? And can a spice grinder be used to grind coffee? Difference??

I use a burr grinder to grind my coffee (yes I like coffee that much). I have a blade coffee grinder that I use exclusively to grind spices. It's hard to clean, but I do my best. I bought it at a thrift store for $7.00 six years ago.

• Alpha

Coffee grinders use conical burrs to grind coffee beans, whereas spice grinders usually use metal (sometime plastic) blades. Coffee grinders also tend to be made more robust and so you can grind spices with it. But I would not use a spice grinder to grind coffee beans.

Also, you need to make sure that you clean the coffee grinder well after using it to grind spices or your coffee is going to taste spicy.

You can use a "coffee" grinder to grind coffee or spices, you can use a spice grinder to grind coffee.

They are pretty much the same. 

If you drink coffee I would get another one, ($20.00 range is fine) and designate the new one for coffee.  Use the older one for other things. Anything with a strong flavor like the spices should be done in a separate grinder. 

The blades will dull that is just a fact of life and they are impossible to sharpen so either use it for other things or toss it if you have no need. (I would probably keep it just in case you had need for it one day)