I am now 72 and work  42.5 Hour week. I want to reduce to 32.5 hours. Is my employer obliged to assist in my request.?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

On your original job application how did you answer the question about overtime?

• 2 months ago

I think under ADA, if you have a disability, you may be able to place a request for reduced hours as a "reasonable accommodation" but it depends on the workload and your type of work. 

Source(s): Not legal advice
  • 2 months ago

Obligated? Not at all. No employer is obligated to honor a request for an employee to cut back on hours. At your age, your employer will most likely let you go rather than have to hire another person to fill in where you aren't working, and keep you on as well. Almost any employer would see this as an opportunity to get rid of an older worker and hire someone who is much less expensive. 

The good news for you is that you are most likely eligible for the maximum benefits in social security. 

• 2 months ago

No, but you can ask.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

They are no obligated to but if u want reduce hours you could ask also 72 is old for working you could retire if u want.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Might be willing to, but no not required to.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Obligated, no. But perhaps they would be willing to?

• 2 months ago

Normally, no.  In rare cases, if it is due to a disability or medical appointments, then maybe.

• 2 months ago

In the US = no.

In other countries = maybe

• Robin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends upon your contract 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.