If barre chords make learning new chords easier, why don't beginners get taught barre chords as early as possible?

I am a beginner and I was wondering why barre chords haven't been taught to me if open chords are the more difficult ones and barre ones allow guitarists to learn chords faster?

• mars

It's harder to hold more strings down. The 'F'(G) to 'C'-shape Barre takes time to play cleanly. (Ramones songs are all 5 and 6-string Barre-chords).

Barre chords are more difficult for me.  I know how to play them, but my fingers won't cooperate.

• ?

Tony's answer is a good one. More thoughts:

A full or 6-string barre is hard because it needs all the strings to be held down (vs using an open chord), takes a combination of finger and thumb placement and grasp (which seem to fight each other), and can be even more difficult in using a guitar with relatively high action and/or heavy strings. A sort of milestone for some is the "dreaded" F barre. And some people never learn barres.So have some fun while learning, starting with those open or first-position chords. The positioning needed for barres is no secret, so if you want to try them from time to time, go right ahead. I think you'll find that they get easier, as your body and fretting hand learn other chording basics. When you nail one, set the guitar down, then go ahead and jump up & down, with fist-pumping.  

Source(s): Playing since 1964, now retired.

I think you’ve either been misinformed or have misunderstood what you have heard.

So-called “open chords” are taught first because they are the easiest to play. The technique required to barre is a difficult one to master. I can remember spending many months trying desperately to be able to play a six string F chord cleanly! Even when the technique is learnt it takes some considerable time and a lot of practice before a person can get through a song containing a lot of barre chords without having to stop part way through to rest their aching muscles. If you doubt this then, as a beginner, compare a simple two-finger Em chord next to the nut with a six string barred Eb chord at the third fret.

The thing with the guitar is that it is difficult to play anything at all without spending some time on it. Beginning with barre chords would just mean that even after many months it would be unlikely that a beginner could play any chord at all.

I think you have misunderstood the fact that once a person can barre, and understands how the notes on the fretboard are laid out, the same shapes can be used to play any similarly-constructed chord. If, for example, you can play Fm (as a barred chord) you don't need to learn F#m, Gm, G#m etc. - you simply move the chord shape up the neck.