Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 month ago

Street performing panhandling?

Is street performing a way of panhandling?

I remember bucket drumming used to be popular, or simply doing tricks

No, it is busking. You are not asking for money. You put your hat out and people pay if they like the music and if they want to give money. 

It's not panhandling because the musician is working

That depends on whether it's legal and you're licensed.

I don't live in a large city now, but when I did, there were both kinds. The "real" street performers were often students at a local music college/conservatory or professional musicians. You'd be walking downtown on your lunch hour or going home from work and there's a small marimba band, or someone playing violin or cello, even a piano on wheels, rolled into a park. They were *good*.

But you'd also see bucket drummers, lackluster singers with a battery-powered amp, people playing stringed instruments who were not especially good, break dancers, or magicians with a hat out for money. The worst of them (I'm thinking of a miserably bad accordion player) would follow you playing until you gave them money, usually on the subway platform so you couldn't really escape.

• Expat

No. Performing is not at all the same as begging. They are professional entertainers, or at least in many cities they are. Many cities require a license and a real act to be able to perform on the streets. They’re generally restricted to particular areas and sometimes scheduled for their location. They’re not beggars.