Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 3 months ago

Rear brake issue?

Right so I own a road bike. The rear disc brake has an issue where I hold the brake as tight as I can but if I push the bile hard enough the qheel keeps spinning but with resistance. Is the brake not clamping hard enough or is it something else?

To Land Rider Jerry, question stated wheels kept spinning while pushing the bike, not riding the bike.  With no rider weight on the bike, the wheels should lock up.  Now who's the idiot? 🤔     

Two wheeled vehicles should never have wheels that totally lock. Wheels that lock can send you into an uncontrollable skid at high speeds, which can seriously injure you. If in doubt take the bike to a reputable bicycle shop. 

Obviously the thumbs down idiot doesn't understand why antilock braking systems were invented. 

Push can mean you're physically pushing the bike or you are rigorously riding the bike. I took it to be the latter meaning. 

Rather than you constantly attacking me try to see the logic in what I'm saying Bob

So I will state it plainly for those who have comprehension issues.  When riding a bike the wheels should never lock up when applying the brakes. If you're physically pushing a non weight bearing bike then the wheels shouldn't spin when applying the brakes.  

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Hydraulic or mechanical disc brakes???  Detail, details, details...  Without more details, anything I (or anyone else) might recommend for a cure is going to be a pure guess.  

If it's a hydraulic brake system, you could have an air pocket or bubble in the brake fluid.  I would NOT attempt to cure that on your own.  Let a professional bike mechanic at your LBS (local bike shop) bleed the system.  

Are the brake pads themselves still good?  They could be plain, worn out.  How much road debris & standing water have you ridden through?  The brake pads could've become contaminated.  It's happened to me on filthy St. Louis streets.  Try some rubbing alcohol on the rotor with a clean, soft cloth.  I use an old (but clean) baby diaper.  Now do the same by running that cloth between the brake pads.  If the brakes still don't function right, the pads could be contaminated.  Time for new ones.  

If mechanical disc brakes, I'll assume you know how to adjust the brake cable & pad adjustment on the opposite side.  If not...it's time to start READING from the Park Tool Repair Help website.  https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Disc Brake Service & Repair -  https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help?query=&a...  Fifteen "How To" articles on disc brakes alone.  Last but certainly not least...if you feel as though you're in "over your head", GO TO A BICYCLE SHOP!  Repair estimates are FREE.  Get to know the employees, owner & mechanics.  I've learned so much by simply "picking their brain" and asking questions.  First set of disc brake pads replaced on a bike was by a mechanic.  After talking with him & reading from the Park Tool website, I've done my own work since - saving me a few bucks.  I own two bikes with mechanical disc brakes.