? asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 2 months ago

Why are all UK gulls protected when towns are overrun with them?

All birds have protection.  If towns don't want gulls landing everywhere, their residents and visitors should not dump food in the streets for them.  Are you one of these people who wishes seagulls to be killed?  Humans are busy wiping out various animal species already, I don't see the need to kill the ones that aren't being wiped out by us already.

There are other priorities, especially right now, they'd be criticised for changing the law on seagulls. They are a pain but it's mainly during the summer when they are nesting, which is nearly over. The law is slow to change typically in the UK.

• Aaron

I don't know for sure whether these gulls are protected by law ,I think that British government should enact a law that protect animals that has been listed endangered species from extinction 

You seem to have found the topic that people can agree on across the political divide!  Coastal breeding seagulls "may" be in decline and need of protection (not sure, I wouldn't want to say without properly looking into it), but the urban bastards are generations from the sea.  They wouldn't know what to do with a herring but are expert bin openers and do gang up on an harass passersby.  I've been told by several old people that gull eggs make excellent savoury pancakes due to the slight, though not overpowering fishiness but considering the urban, vermin gulls' landfill diet I wouldn't advocate eating them.  Maybe urban falconry will be the next big thing?

• F

White privilege obviously.

They are applying their right of demonstration. The Government should listen and talk with them. Riot Police is unless nowadays - violence cannot resolve any issue. Police is using vandalism to suppress vandalism, it is definitely a total failure nowadays. 

they let you know you are close to the beach

I find it hard to believe but the herring gull has been placed on a 'red list' due to "ongoing population declines and wintering population declines". That means they can no longer be legally humanely killed if they present a public health hazard. I've seen no evidence of population decline.

• British seagulls are naturally of a better calibre than other aquatic birds. Of course they're prolific. They're Britishers.

No idea but I'm on a top floor flat and they're always scratching, squawking, throwing rubbish about and generally being d*cks, we should cull most of them then feed them to the poor