Andre asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Should I start back to white belt if I used to be orange belt years ago? ?

I was orange belt in karate when I was 14 and didn't do karate until now, I'm 19 now. I'm really into martial arts now which I wasn't back then. Should I start as a white belt again if I want to join or do I just carry on as orange because I STILL HAVE MY ORANGE BELT.

You go back as a white belt. If it is the same school as before and the instructor feels you are more advanced, he will tell you or as was in my case, for your next test you may skip a rank 

Source(s): experience

Dang. I used to be a green belt in judo. I haven't been to a gym in like 6 months. I think that you should keep your orange belt if you have still been practicing. If not, then humble yourself and go back to a white belt. Maybe do a martial art that you love? Or all of the ones you love. There's nothing wrong with striking and grappling. Muay thai plus jiu jitsu isn't a silly idea. Karate is a great striking art it also has some grappling. I'd make sure the gym spars btw. If there's no sparring, then what's the point? It'll be all theory and such no muscle memory without sparring. 

Not completely but one is never too advanced to work on the basics. 

I'd ask your new instructor, see what they want you to do.

So you still have a orange belt. I still have every belt i EARNED over the past 30+ years.

So you have that orange belt. o you have any paper work PROVING such?

Plus it was more than 5 years ago. Also KIDS CLASSES ARE DIFFERENT than adults class. And it even differs on techniques. Another is you probably remember only 10 percent (more likely less) of what you were taught.

You would have to be evaluated and start from nothing and working back to where you let off. It will take you some time. Several months to get back to here you left at.

Sorry you CAN NOT start where you left off.This is not a video game where you can save and continue later without any setbacks.

• Bon

Having a belt means nothing if you didn't train even on your own for the last 5 years. You claim to be really into martial arts, but if that were true your only concern would had been being able to recall the skills and techniques rather than a symbol of rank.  

• Steel

Ultimately, it's up to the teacher.

There are a few things to consider, though, such as "are you returning to train where you trained previously?" and "can you adequately demonstrate all that you learned up to the point where you stopped training?" Those will likely factor in.

EDIT: I just wanted to throw in my two cents' worth with regard to the other answers. While I agree with them in part, as I myself have been training for over thirty years and rank really has no bearing on me anymore, it's easy for me to say so since I've already earned a few black belts/sashes and my motivations for continuing training are different. The entire point of different colors of rank (an Occidental idea) is to be a hallmark of material/experience up to that point, and it serves to encourage students to continue training while feeling a sense of accomplishment. Apparently, the others who have answered are at similar stages to me where such hallmarks are meaningless. The person asking the question earned that orange belt rank as a young teen and obviously feels as though it is an accomplishment, and would like to retain that accomplishment if possible. I wouldn't begrudge him just for asking about that to those who have experience in these matters, and he didn't ask for a lecture on what his motivations should be or what it means to be a martial artist, as that isn't something universal. As I mentioned previously, I might agree with the other answers in that rank shouldn't matter, but for a beginner looking for ways to track his progress and taking some sense of pride in reaching different ranks, I just think it's great that he's wanting to begin training again after so long. Again, just my two cents.