Subcontractor ?

I’m a subcontractor. My boss is a contractor he has been rude to me my whole job life with him saying I don’t care if you die your usless so I had a breaking point I worked the full week and quit.... he won’t pay me because he claims that I didn’t show up to work the next week so he had to take the money out of mine so he dosnt owe me anything there was no contracts in place what do I do ?

Your "boss" also sounds like a convicted felon.  He's a "contractor".  Wouldn't surprise me much.  A lot of 'em are.

If there is no written or verbal contract, you're pretty much screwed. He doesn't even have to say anything to justify himself if he chooses to not pay you. 

The answer is to develop your skills to the point where you can walk away from bad gigs and get work easily, somewhere else.

Source(s): 35-year Software consultant.

There is no law against an employer being rude.  He is what he is and has a right to run his business how he sees fit, and you put up with it for so long, you could have put up with it through the end of that job.  Because you quit, his completion time will be extended, which could cost him a lot of money.  That is probably why he is keeping some of your money - for damages.  However, from your side, you worked it so you are entitled to pay for those hours.  However, did you give two weeks' notice?  It doesn't sound like it.  What I think you should do is either suck it up and move on, or you can call him, apologize and offer two weeks' notice.  Then, he will probably pay you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • G

Melbourne has great Sauvignon Blanc. Maybe you can get yourself a vineyard.

You are self-employed.   He isn't your boss.   He's your customer.

It's your job to invoice your customer for work done and collect the money.  If your customer refuses to pay you, you can send the debt to a collection agency or sue.    It's going to be hard to do that if you have no evidence your customer actually owes you the money.

ETA:  In response to Mark IX, workers DO have rights in the USA, ESPECIALLY self-employed persons who can make their own rules regarding deposits, payment, contracts, etc.    If a self-employed person fails to exercise any of their options for protecting themselves, that's their own damn fault. 

I live in Australia Melbourne 

Sign written contracts next time. 

That would depend on where you live.  If you live in a civilised country, with laws that protect employees and subcontractors you'd contact the appropriate government department.  However, if you live in the US, where workers have no basic right, you're f ucked.