Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSeattle · 1 month ago

Why do people walk around in shorts in Seattle?

Especially when it's cold and rainy out. I see people wearing shorts and t-shirts...

I mean, aren't you cold or just mentally stupid?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

It's a drier climate so you don't feel the cold like back east. Even in wet Seattle!

• 1 month ago

When my family and I lived in the Pacific Northwest near Seattle, my teenage daughters determined there was a Northwest uniform in all but the coldest, or even rarer warmer, weather. It involved shorts, a long sleeve jersey, and sandals with socks. The colors were almost always dark: greens, blacks, blues, and browns. Sounds as if much hasn't changed. 

• "Cold" is a relative term with no specific temperature.  What you might find cold, others may find to be refreshing and pleasant.  Example: for me, an outdoor temperature of 17C is considered 'cold' to some but I find it very pleasant.  

I'd politely suggest that you not worry about other people wearing shorts and t-shirts.  It seems that you Yanks have about 8 gazillion other problems to worry about.

• 1 month ago

What's cold to you may not feel so cold to them. They're used to it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Just because YOU are cold does not mean that everyone is. When I was in New Orleans, I was walking around in shirtsleeves when the natives were wearing overcoats. I got my comeuppance when I went from there to Michigan and nearly froze off my cohones.

• 1 month ago

As someone who has lived there were kind of both.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.