Why do college degrees involve so many useless courses?

I'm pursuing a bachelor's degree in chemistry. By the end of this quarter, I'll have taken more English and fitness classes than actual science. Because they're required for all students. Why can't I refuse to take them and save the time?

I don't need a class to learn how to communicate. I've communicated just fine without them. And yes, they are useless. Anything that isn't absolutely mandatory for my career is useless.

there are several reasons, most at least partially true.  here is one you won't like.

It is because they are smarter than you.

In most business these days, it is the "soft skills" that make or break you.  Almost anyone can learn the mechanics of a technical skill.  But communication has, is, and will always be, the single most difficult problem for business.

So, no matter what degree or skill set you are learning, basic reading/writing/math skills, along with the ability to analyze and diagnose, are just as if not more important that your technical skill set.

My advice is for you to do what all the rest of us had to do before you:  realize they are trying to open your mind, and use these classes as ways to improve your soft skills and mechanical aptitude.

They need ways to justify their costs...

I recall the good old days when people went to college to get an education.  Nowadays people think college should only be about job training.  That change in mentality is partly why we've ended up with an orange-haired, international criminal and child abuser as president.  BTW, what color is your hair?

Because college isn't a trade school.  You're supposed to graduate from college as an educated person; that means knowing more than just your major.

A superior education involves more than simply taking courses in your major. Education is designed to give you a broader outlook, not simply a single skill. You should be grateful you can take courses that do this. You may not use them or think they're valuable--but trust me when I tell you that knowledge on a broad scale is FAR better than a narrow approach to learning. Don't be so arrogant. 

• KTJoe

College courses are excellent resume fatners, for interview discussions, especially if no job experience. Example: Fitness class....Experience in dealing with people of different backgrounds, getting along working together. 

To provide jobs for graduates of useless degree programs such as history, english, womens studies etcetera you get the picture

• L

Colleges want you to have a Well Rounded Education - just like you did in high school.

Having a son in law that now has a Doctorate in chemistry, you do need general educational classes. But you don’t want to hear it and think you know it all. Good luck with that.  One fitness class isn’t going to kill you. And you should of know what was required before you enrolled.

• Expat

That is why they’re called “universities” and not trade schools. While your degree is focused you are still required to complete a more universal range of courses.