Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Is it normal for senior citizens' teeth and gums to hurt even though there are  no cavities or gum disease?

Update:

The dentist doesn't see anything wrong.  

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

No.  If one's gums and teeth are in good shape, they shouldn't be hurting. This is not a "normal" effect of aging.

Someone might develop teeth sensitivities over time, especially if enamel has eroded somewhat, though that shouldn't cause problems with the gums.

Sore gums could be a symptom of a medical condition -- an early sign of gum disease, yes, but also a possible indication of a vitamin deficiency, diabetes, or stress, which can elevate cortisol (which increases inflammation) and also cause tooth grinding, which in turn can cause sore gums.

• 1 month ago

I too had gum problems when I was much younger and solved them by taking vitamin C. I constantly has bad colds and was looking for something to help. I tried vitamin C and it helped somewhat. But I found that it also stopped gums from being sore and bleeding. In some cases, it acts like a wonder drug! I would definitely try it.

• rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no       .............

• Snid
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's probably not normal exactly but it can happen.  If the dentist doesn't see anything wrong I wouldn't worry.  Maybe review what you are eating and see if it's different than usual.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is called Aging. You will get there too

• 1 month ago

I would say yes.

Using Sensodyne Toothpaste can help with aching or sensitive teeth.

Sometimes if you have been out in a cold wind, it can make teeth hurt.

Well, It does mine. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.