Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Is it normal for senior citizens' teeth and gums to hurt even though there are  no cavities or gum disease?

The dentist doesn't see anything wrong.  

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

No.  If one's gums and teeth are in good shape, they shouldn't be hurting. This is not a "normal" effect of aging.

Someone might develop teeth sensitivities over time, especially if enamel has eroded somewhat, though that shouldn't cause problems with the gums.

Sore gums could be a symptom of a medical condition -- an early sign of gum disease, yes, but also a possible indication of a vitamin deficiency, diabetes, or stress, which can elevate cortisol (which increases inflammation) and also cause tooth grinding, which in turn can cause sore gums.

I too had gum problems when I was much younger and solved them by taking vitamin C. I constantly has bad colds and was looking for something to help. I tried vitamin C and it helped somewhat. But I found that it also stopped gums from being sore and bleeding. In some cases, it acts like a wonder drug! I would definitely try it.

• rick

no       .............

• Snid

It's probably not normal exactly but it can happen.  If the dentist doesn't see anything wrong I wouldn't worry.  Maybe review what you are eating and see if it's different than usual.  

• kswck2

It is called Aging. You will get there too

I would say yes.

Using Sensodyne Toothpaste can help with aching or sensitive teeth.

Sometimes if you have been out in a cold wind, it can make teeth hurt.

Well, It does mine.