Ross asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 months ago

Making Boxed Stovetop Stuffing Without Turkey?

So, come thanksgiving, I'll be making a nice turkey dinner for my family. Not a lot. About 6 people including me and two of them are kids. So the turkey's not huge. I'd say about 13-15 lbs. But I do want to make a lot of stuffing. I bought four boxes of Stovetop. And probably about 2 1/2 are going to fit. As for the stuffing going in the bird, I have no questions. But for the remainder I would have to cook aside, I have a few. Firstly, when I make stovetop stuffing, I add diced apples and onions which make it turn out fantastic. Dice them small enough and they virtually disintegrate into the stuffing, but that's in the cooking bird over a period of five or so hours. So I need recommendations on what I would cook the extra stuffing in, and for how long. Also, could I cook it in the separate dish in the oven beside the turkey? I want them to cook right. Then there's the preparation. For the stuffing going in the turkey, I just follow the basic steps. Boiling water and margarine. Add stuffing, wait five minutes, fluff with fork and stuff the bird. But instead of water, I assume turkey broth would be the way to go for the flavor, seeing as it isn't going in the bird. Any other tips for the "out of bird" flavor? Will award a best answer. Thanks!

• denise

Yes, stock could replace the water, with my diced apple & onion I add dried cranberries and a little extra dried sage.

Any chopped / dried fruit would be ok to add, you could use disposable foil trays [ spray first with a little oven spray], 2 or 3 if you want different flavours in separate trays, they could all sit on a larger tray if you want to cook alongside the turkey. 

There should be directions on the box.....?

I make the extra stuffing I need in a crock pot.

I saute all the addons like veggies and meats and use reserved turkey broth I made from simmering the neck and giblets as the broth. After I put it all together and season according to my tastes, I pile into a crock pot, cover and crank it up on high. I do this about 21/2 hours before eating time. I do check it close to eating time in case I need more broth. It turns out very well. The first time I did it, it was out of desparation. Now its done like that all the time. its actually safer to not cook it in the bird and your bird will cook faster without stuffing.

• IvaB

One thing about shortcuts-they always turn up short.I like shortcuts,but some aren't worth it imo,and boxed stuffing is one of them.I'm no food snob,but boxed stuffing is crap.I wish it were different,but no.While boxed does save steps,you pay dearly in quality.Homemade is not all that difficult,and if you try it--you'll never go back.  Just saying.

• kswck2

I stopped making stuffing long ago. I worked in a soup kitchen where we had to make 75 boxes at a time-and stir it with a boat oar. So i'm done with that stuff in this life. 

I say add a few spoonful's of the turkey drippings from the bottom of the pan to the dressing.

I used to make stuffing by itself all the time, even without a turkey being present. You can cook it on the stovetop or in an oven, covered, in any pan it fits into and yes, broth helps to add flavour. It doesn't have to be turkey broth. Chicken bouillon will do just fine, or maybe even just water. I've never used boxed stuffing so I don't know how salty it is.

I'd follow the box directions and then heat it in the oven or on the stovetop(low heat there) until it's good and hot. If you want to do the long-cooked apples and onions, cook them first and add them to the stuffing before heating it. Inside the bird, the stuffing probably doesn't even get warm until hour three. An hour in the oven is plenty if it's just in a pan.

You shouldnt put stuffing in the bird to cook. That's the leading cause of food poisoning every single year on Thanksgiving. Cook each separate, then stuff before serving if you must 

• ?

What could do is make stovetop stuffing on stove but instead of putting water in it use turkey broth instead. Turns out tasty