Is it normal for a new gun to jam every time??

I just bought a rock island 1911 xtm22 its a 1911 style semi auto handgun by rock island 22wmr and it gets jammed every time with 5 different ammo its a brand new gun and the breaking in period is 500 rounds i gone 200 and still getting jammed 7 out of 10 times! Is it a broken gun!?? Please help!

Update:

Failure to feed and extract or could be double feeding not sure 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Update with the type of jam. Failure to feed? Failure to extract? Failure to fire? Get in touch with RI and talk to them about it.That style of long slide pistol can be a lot of mass to move in 22. First, I would oil or grease the slide channels. There may be a rough spot on the frame or slide that is dragging in the channel. Breaking in is the wearing of any burrs.

You can hasten break-in if you inspect the slide and frame where they mesh and polish out any rough spots.

Settle on 1 ammo, probably CCI maxi mag if available

Lock your wrist and elbow when shooting. This is critical with that type of pistol in 22

• 1 month ago

Well you bought a cheap gun.

"If you buy quality the price you paid is soon forgotten. While on the other hand the money you saved will haunt you throughout the time you own the thing".

And this IS the reason I chuckle when folks say buy the Rock Island 1911 save money instead of buying a Colt.

If it is NOT dependable it is not worth a nickle. It WILL fail just when you need it most.

Help you ? > Sell that POS take this as a lesson sir.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, you have a bum gun that`s supposed have a 4 1/2 star rating. A classic cop out answer from the people that sold you the gun. They should operate without flaw from 1st shot on. "Breaking in" is a term for the initial 1st wear of connecting parts to loosen up to a smoothness. Total Bullshjt that jamming to the extent you have just stated is normal break-in happenings. The .22WMR is a long straight cased round that needs a highly polished chamber to ease extraction. Nevertheless, that`s something that should have been done by the factory before being sold.

• 1 month ago

Do you clean it every time you use it? Do you oil the ammunition when you load the magazine? Are you using quality ammunition? If you've answered "yes" to all of these questions then you need to take it to the gun dealer and have a gun smith look at it. Otherwise, you might want to look into spending a bit more money for a higher quality pistol.

One more thing. Look up the specs on the pistol to make sure you aren't missing a piece of important information. You can't just buy a firearm and just start pulling the trigger.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Isabel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yeah, that’s a problem.  Return it.  Use your warranty.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.