Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

for a type 2 diabetic, how low of a blood sugar be to go into a coma?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • I’m not saying it is impossible, but unless you are using insulin, it’s highly unlikely your glucose could go so low you’d go into a coma.

• 1 month ago

--  I am a type-2 diabetic and have gone as low as 2.1 and only felt slightly dizzy, but never went into a coma. Fortunately I checked my levels and immediately had some orange juice and toast with jam plus a glucose drink. 10 minutes later my blood levels rose to 4.5 and 10 minutes later it was up to 5.2.

-- I was in hospital at that time for another reason, and the nurse gave me a glucose drink several time when I went below 4.0.

-- Every individual reacts differently, so it is hard to determine at what level a person may go into a coma.

+++  My measurements are what is used in Australia.  I am assuming you are using American standards.

• 1 month ago

Really depends on why it's low. Some might go into a coma if they are ill, and 40 or under (US number), others can be that low for an extended time and not go into a coma. Each diabetic will react differently to a low.

So a fragile type 2 may have issues under 60, where a diet and exercise controlled type 2, may not even have symptoms until lower than 40. And if the low is medication/insulin induced, it could be brought on fairly quickly, if it falls and keeps falling due to the treatment, if not corrected. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.