art
art asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

what does a SM Bus Controller do?

when I was using my computer tonight a message appeared saying that my sm bus controller was no longer recognised, I did some research online and managed to force the computer to recognise it again by installing an Intel utility program that came with my computer drivers disk, but I still don’t understand what  the sm controller actually does in simple terms and if my computer really needs it

Favorite Answer

SMBus is the System Management Bus used in personal computers and servers for low-speed, system management communications. A SMBus controller is integrated into most Intel® chipsets.

What am I seeing?Device Manager displays an exclamation point for the SMBus controller or lists it under Other Devices. How to fix itDownload and run the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility so Windows* properly recognizes the SMBus controller