Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Are IP address always accurate?

I used two different websites to see if I would get the same results from the same IP address and the results were different...not the same location.

• L.N.

Your IP address should be consistent in IPV4 and IPV6 on any website. I believe you are talking about geolocation data which depends on which database is queried. I often see my IP address geolocated to a large city 250 miles away because that is where my ISP's main Network Operations Center is located, but some report the correct city where I live. It all depends on how fine grained the database they use is.

Accuracy of IP based GeoLocation varies depending on the database used to identify the user location Some registrars may be very accurate in providing information about their IP, though some may enter not updated or incorrect data..

• BigE

If you are using a VPN that has multiple endpoints, that is the case where your source IP can vary if it does some randomizing of source ips because you are getting the source of the VPN, not the source of your request.

Just for giggles I tried 4 different websites that can tell me what my public IP address is, they all returned the same result.  I did this from my home, connected via Wi-Fi to my "consumer grade" router.  

Assuming you are behind a consumer grade router?  Assuming you are doing this from your home?

A consumer router has a public side and a private side.  The public side is the physical interface that connects to the service provider network.  The private side is all the other interfaces on the router as well as Wi-Fi.

Your "public IP address" is the address assigned to the physical interface on your router that connects to the service provider network.  This public IP address is a "registered" address and is routable on the Internet.  This address is typically dynamically assigned by your service provider network using a protocol called DHCP at the time you boot up the router.  This address "can" change every time you reboot your router.  Additionally DHCP utilizes a "lease" feature, whereby on a timed basis DHCP will query the ISP to renew the IP address lease.  At the time of this query the ISP could change the public IP address assigned to your router, but that is highly unlikely to happen.  On the public side, your router is running DHPC "client", meaning it is the requestor.

On the private side your router runs DHCP "server", meaning it is the device distributing IP addresses to the private side.  These private side IP addresses are unroutable (any address that is 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x.x) on the Internet.  So on your device the IP address you see in your settings is probably in the 192.168.x.x range.

The router also runs a feature called Network Address Translation (NAT), which is used to mask the private IP address from the Internet.  All users that are connected to the private side of the router share the same public IP address.  Both you and anyone else connected to the private side of the same router will appear to be using the same IP address from the public side.  

So, if you check your IP address from your home, behind your consumer router you will get the IP address of the public interface on your home router.  If you go somewhere else, say to your friends house and you check your IP address you will get the public IP address of your friends router.  If you check with multiple different websites that claim to tell you your public IP address from the same location, behind the same consumer router all during a short span of time they should all report the same IP address, which won't match the IP address assigned to your computer.

You can verify what your public IP address is by accessing the management utility on your router and looking for the "Internet" or "WAN" settings.

As for location, that is less of an exact science and depends on many variables. 

• keerok

An IP address is needed for a computer to request and receive data from the internet or any given network. If it keeps changing constantly, internet won't work with that computer. There are some instances when an IP address changes though which still allow the computer to use the internet.

When your computer reboots or when you log-out then log-in again to the network. When your network provider manages IP addresses automatically, you may get assigned to varied IP address values. Your provided IP address however does not change within the same session (the whole time you are logged in to that network). This can hold true to local networks or with your ISP.

Another reason is when you use a proxy or a VPN. These services mask or hide your true IP address and instead broadcasts another one. Your IP values are recorded so they can route data properly to and from your computer so you can still use the internet.

• Adrian

The IP address should not change. Your public IP should remain the same if you test via several web sites all around the same time. If you restarted your ISP's modem of interface, it is possible the public IP may have changed. Once you get a public IP from a provider, it should remain the same for the time you are connected to the Internet. There may be some exceptions to this. For example, if using a cell phone data service, and the cell phone changes towers due to moving (or a weak signal), it is possible the public IP changes (if your signal dropped out).Your public IP address does NOT give a location, it just gives the ISP location, who controls those IP addresses. Some sites may look up the ISP differently, and provide a different ISP location. That has nothing to do with your actual location.

Without details of your setup or how you connect to the Internet, can't guess more than that....