Can my CPU handle a newer GPU?

I currently have a GA-Z97M-DS3H motherboard with a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 Gen 4 Haswell CPU. I just bought the Sapphire Pulse RX580 GPU, I've been told that my motherboard can handle the GPU, but can't seem to find if the CPU can keep up with the GPU.  Will the Sapphire pulse RX580 run on my current set up, or will I have to buy a new motherboard and CPU?

The first one hqas an Intel CPU and the second an AMD, they are not compatible.

• PCMR

The CPU does have to be able to keep up with the GPU. What part of the PC do you think tells the GPU what frame to render? If you have a slow CPU then you won't get a very good framerate! 

Games are using more threads than ever and a Core i5 is barely good enough anymore. Try to get a Core i7 4790k if you can, slap a good cooler on it and you should be good to go for a few years. Make sure you have 16gb of RAM too. 

• Lv 7

the CPU doesn't have to "keep up with" anything related to the GPU.

you need to check your game or software's sysreq, to see what it recommends/requires. some games need a faster CPU, but some just require a faster GPU.

honestly, if you at least have an SSD with your OS on it, it will run faster, right off the bat.

• P

Yes it will run IF:

1.  Your PC case is physically big enough to fit the card in.

2.  Your power supply is big enough.

It is an extremely old processor that was never fast in the first place, so it will bottleneck things, but depending on what you are playing it might be good enough for your purposes.  If you already have it you might as well try it.  

A haswell i3  (2C/4T) is definitely on the lower end of gaming CPU's by today's standards. There's a very good chance that you will not see the full benefit of the RX580 with that CPU as the CPU will become a limiting factor before the GPU does. It will work, it's just that your CPU will hamper the GPU's performance. It's past time to upgrade the CPU/motherboard and RAM (Haswell/Broadwell were the last to use DDR3, anything beyond that will require DDR4). 

search online for "bottlenecking" and use the free tool provided.  I suspect the answer is that the cpu will bottleneck that gpu, and check -- because i'm guessing