Do you REALLY need a permit to sell quail?

My mom said that I can’t sell quail chicks because I’d need a permit that would let the government come onto our property at any time and because the two quail that she doesn’t want are different breeds and they’d be mutts and nobody would buy them anyway. Can I maybe sell them without a permit or get one that won’t let them just walk onto our property? Thanks!

Follow your mother's advice.  Sometimes, more often than not, mothers know best.  And she's right.

Depends on your location.

May also depend on how often you breed, and if your are breeding them for pets, feeder animals, or for human food.

There is very limited demand in the market for pet quail.   Unless you are open to selling quail as reptile food, I would not advise that you venture into breeding.

• *****

Laws vary by location and this is a worldwide site. No one can tell you whether you do or don't need a permit to sell quail. In many places, yes, you would need a permit to breed and sell birds. And your mother is right, no one wants hybrid quail (the two types you have may not even interbreed).  I suggest you just listen to your mother.