Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How close are we to driverless cars where you live?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Being tested in the city where I live.  See several vans with the bubble tops every day along with their passive drivers.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

20 years into the future.

• D50
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not close here. But I look forward to them. It should be much safer for everyone else around them, even if they might not be so safe for the passengers. It would be hard to design a robot that could be more distracted and clueless than a human driver.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They are available yes. I wont buy one neither will anyone i know. We Love driving/riding. If it becomes tiresome, just pull over at a rest stop. My ins co asked about radar avoidance etc on my "new" 2015. Doesnt have it, even.

I see  cars  from the '60's driven every day. Jeeps, Corvairs, etc. A friend drives his

'57  Chevy "Apache" " as much as he can. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

i highly doubt there will ever be 100% driverless cars. it will probably always be "self driving" but the driver has to constantly pay attention to the road and take over steering when needed, which kind of defeats the purpose. there's just too many situations which machines haven't dealt with, and by the time they deal with them once, it might be too late, someone could get killed.

sure, if all roads were just massive straight highways, they could surely create safe AI to navigate those. but it's all the side roads, back roads, unlit streets, pedestrians crossing, animals crossing, construction sites that change roads, tree branches in the road, foreign items in the road, hard-to-see stop signs, and many other situations where the AI just wouldn't be able to correctly deal with the situation

• 1 month ago

We already have them in Utah.  Wait.  Maybe I should explain.  YES, there's usually someone in the driver's seat.  But....  that doesn't mean they know how to drive!  Have you ever been to Utah?  Have you SEEN the way people drive (if you even want to call it driving) here?

• 1 month ago

Not very close hun.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

People where I live still drive cars from the 90's

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not close to it yet.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Light-years, thankfully.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.