Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 month ago

Do you play the lottery?

If so, doesn't it bother you that your winnings are taxed? 

The government already taxed your paycheck where the $2 came from for the ticket, what gives them the right to take MILLIONS from you too?! 

Also the fact that your penalized if you take the lump sum. Why give us the option then? Its very irritating but I do play because I'm sure if I won I'd get over it lol

• WTF? lottery winnings aren't taxed....

Yeah...it's a global site.

• Willie

Yes, I do since I don't drink or fool around behind my wife's back.

yes. I won $2k once I can win again

Yes I do! The lottery in Canada is better than American because here we win the jackpot without paying taxes. I usually buy lotto max tickets. The jackpot is $50,000,000 right now :D

• kswck2

Ah, yes. The Lottery. Just a fools bet to take money from people that cannot afford it, just to take back 50%+ in taxes. 

.......NO......

Never...       

• Jay P

Yes I play but lottery winnings taxes are not applicable to me.

I live in Canada and if you win a Canadian lottery, even a jackpot, the winnings are tax-free.  Also you don't have to choose between a lump sump or annuity payments.  You get the entire winnings in one lump payment.  

This also applies to winnings from casinos.

Every once in a while. One time I spent $1 on a lotto ticket, won $2, and gave $1 to the cashier and kept $1 for myself. That kind of thing is a good cheer-up

You aren't penalized for taking the lump sum.  The jackpot is an annuity.  The present day value of that is always less, not just in a lottery.

What give them the right to tax the winnings?  The law.  Gambling winnings are taxable in the US.  You don't like it, talk to your congressman.