Converting from push to start to key turn?

As I absolutely despise push to start and am looking at purchasing a new car that is only offered in push to start. I am wondering if I was to take the car to a mechanic if they could remove the push to start and install a turn key ignition. 

Favorite Answer

ALL push start cars have a key cylinder as a backup. The key is hidden in the fob. What you need is to read the owners manual.

Yes. 

Anybody with advanced electrical knowledge can do it. 

Bad news it modifying it would void your warranty. 

You can't win.

The push button is a simple momentary switch. You can replace the button with a momentary key switch. That will look shightty on the dash, but that will give you what you asked for, and the need to use 2 different keys to start the car. Leave well enough alone.

I HATE it too It often doesn't work right, even with new battery. Especially door locks.

I  bit the bullet. I had to have  a reliable , automatic. I do NOT want to mess with my 5 yo. Its not like the Tercel, where I had to rewire fan switch and fix fan speed rheostat and  windshield  wiper  delay,. Everything in these new cars is Computerized, I do not want to take chance it may not Run if I try a mod. I'm afraid  to even  put a CD player in it from a 2014. It might have to go to a separate system and speakers

@lClay, If you Had one,  you'd note it doesn't always work, right. Radio on is one tap, a second is Accessories. Have to go thru a Routine just to roll up windows. A key ignition, You See Acc or Ign is on.. Dont have to Guess at 50 LEDS that come on with the self test. I rented a Sentra a while back; All these Pussy-Button cars dont work as Positively as key ignition. I got in routine of leaving engine running , put in P and brake on, roll up windows, Then switch off. Simpler.

Push a button or turn a key. What difference does it make. I do not understand why you despise pushing a button. Makes no sense to me. 

I've worked on cars as a master mechanic since 1970. I'd never mess with the push button start system. You'll end up with a car that won't run.

No they could not. It is a highly integrated system.

No, not without voiding the warranty unless done by a factory authorized service center. Learn to get over your aversion - It' not a big deal -n or buy a different vehicle. 

• Erik

First world problems... Wouldn't it be simpler to just get used to it?

• Rick

should be a big deal, no ..............  MIGHT take a new key lock.