Converting from push to start to key turn?

As I absolutely despise push to start and am looking at purchasing a new car that is only offered in push to start. I am wondering if I was to take the car to a mechanic if they could remove the push to start and install a turn key ignition. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

ALL push start cars have a key cylinder as a backup. The key is hidden in the fob. What you need is to read the owners manual.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. 

Anybody with advanced electrical knowledge can do it. 

Bad news it modifying it would void your warranty. 

You can't win.

• 1 month ago

The push button is a simple momentary switch. You can replace the button with a momentary key switch. That will look shightty on the dash, but that will give you what you asked for, and the need to use 2 different keys to start the car. Leave well enough alone.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I HATE it too It often doesn't work right, even with new battery. Especially door locks.

I  bit the bullet. I had to have  a reliable , automatic. I do NOT want to mess with my 5 yo. Its not like the Tercel, where I had to rewire fan switch and fix fan speed rheostat and  windshield  wiper  delay,. Everything in these new cars is Computerized, I do not want to take chance it may not Run if I try a mod. I'm afraid  to even  put a CD player in it from a 2014. It might have to go to a separate system and speakers

@lClay, If you Had one,  you'd note it doesn't always work, right. Radio on is one tap, a second is Accessories. Have to go thru a Routine just to roll up windows. A key ignition, You See Acc or Ign is on.. Dont have to Guess at 50 LEDS that come on with the self test. I rented a Sentra a while back; All these Pussy-Button cars dont work as Positively as key ignition. I got in routine of leaving engine running , put in P and brake on, roll up windows, Then switch off. Simpler.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Push a button or turn a key. What difference does it make. I do not understand why you despise pushing a button. Makes no sense to me. 

• 1 month ago

I've worked on cars as a master mechanic since 1970. I'd never mess with the push button start system. You'll end up with a car that won't run.

• 1 month ago

No they could not. It is a highly integrated system.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, not without voiding the warranty unless done by a factory authorized service center. Learn to get over your aversion - It' not a big deal -n or buy a different vehicle. 

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First world problems... Wouldn't it be simpler to just get used to it?

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

should be a big deal, no ..............  MIGHT take a new key lock.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.