Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How many days do you eat leftovers for ?

my son doesn’t believe in ledftovers. He won’t eat it He only likes fresh food.

A couple times a week there will be leftovers which as usually eaten the next day for lunch or dinner again.

We plan our meals so we have at least one extra day's worth of leftovers. It's a more efficient use of cooking time, cleanup time and gas heat. Your son only believes in fresh food because he isn't doing the cooking, prep work and cleanup. Once he starts cooking for himself, he'll change his mind. You can start teaching him now while he's still living at home.

It's not healthy to eat leftovers

• denise

The next day or the day after,  leftover potatoes & veg are good in a hash topped with a fried egg.

If I've made a stew or casserole my husband has it the next day for lunch.

Nearly every day. I make big pots of soup that we usually get two dinners out of plus a couple of lunches on other days. Other main meals that we don't have twice for dinner are eaten for lunch.

some foods are actually better as leftovers than if they are eaten on the day they are cooked. 

If a leftover is going to last more than 4 days, 5 max I will portion it and freeze it for a meal later in the month. 

If he is real instant on not eating leftovers next time you make a cake, cookies or pie don't let him eat any the next day...

And if he is an adult (over the age of 18) he can go buy his own food. 

If he is a child (under 18) he eats what is served or he doesn't eat that night.  I certainly would not be tossing out food or making food just because he refuses to eat leftovers.

Well, really I don't normally have anything left over to eat. I prepare a meal, cook it and eat it. Sometimes there might be a little mashed potato or rice left over but rarely anything worth keeping.

I make burgers and fishcakes and make more than I need for one meal and freeze the rest (but that's not really leftovers.

To me, a person who has a lot of left over food needs to try to cook less of it in the first place!

• CB

I eat leftovers until they are gone or a I freeze them - usually at least 3-4 meals.

In my house you eat what is served or go hungry - end of discussion. 

• kswck2

I know a couple like that too. They consider leftovers as compost. 

But leftovers are sometimes fantastic, as they just taste better AS leftovers, such as soups and stews, gravies, casseroles and pizza. 

Time gives many dishes and the seasonings time to mesh a bit better. 

Although leftovers for the 5th day in a row does get kind of old.

Give him $40.00, and tell him he can cook for himself for the week. I do a lot of prep with basic dishes that can work in other meals. I can cook Kaluha Pig and serve Pig and cabbage, then later in the week have BBQ pork sandwiches, or an Asian dish. I also Sous Vide a London Broil and serve it as sliced steak the first day, then shave it on a slicer for stir fry beef or hot beef sandwiches. So you cook one basic dish, and make three or four different meal entrees from it. Works for me.