Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

I clearly look over 18 years old, so why do the cashiers always ask for my ID?

It's as though some of them suspect that I didn't have ID or something... I'm well in my twenties now, let me pick up some alcohol with some peace and quiet.

It is a law for them to check ID all the time.

Also, maybe while you were picking up some alcohol, they were thinking about picking you up :-}

They are trying to save their as***; from a blood thirsty judicial system...that is why.  If I was a store owner, I would cover my buttocks and ask a young person for I.d.  to save my business.  It is just common sense really.  Humanity has a duty to protect children, and that is reality.  

For fear of being accused of discrimination.  If there is someone with you who is your  same age but doesn't look like they are 18 and they don't get carded, they could claim discrimination.  Also, some check out registers require ID's to be scanned regardless of the age.

• Ann

Because they want to make sure the person who is giving them the card is the one who owns it. I don't sign my cards; I put "ask for ID." Someone who steals them can say that signature is their own.

And trust me, if you're in a bar, the older you get, the more flattered you are that someone is asking for ID. 

The cutoff is that you must look at least 40 and even then it is sometimes just a matter of their policy to check all id's in order to enter a date into the cash register as per store policy. I would prefer to think I look young for my age when they card me, but I know they see me as old but they are still required to enter a date from my id.

Expect that to continue until you are around 40yo. It's not new, it's not you and it's not a big deal in the whole scheme of things.

The law in MY State is that ID/date of birth must be verified.

I am a LOUSY judge of age. Bernie Saunders doesn't clearly look over 18 to me.

Also note: I could personally face criminal changes for selling age restricted items to someone 1 HOUR under age. I can't face legal problems for demanding ID from anyone.

its the law.... 

They're covering their àss.  They generally card everyone who looks under 30 or 40.  I'm in my fifties and still get carded.