Which band is better, Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

• Foofa

"Better" is subjective. One of these became the standard bearer for a completely new genre. They didn't invent it but grunge was a regional thing before Nirvana became mainstream. Foo Fighters aren't even a grunge band and given that Dave Grohl has stated that he wanted to go in a different musical direction I think it's fair to just say they're both great but just different. Nirvana certainly lacked the sense of humor the Foos bring to their work. 

Nirvana, because Kurt's rants make me purge my bad feelings out of my body...................I'm a yogi, and when my anger chakra gets detoxed, I will reach Nirvana

Nirvana Kurt Cobain was a master

I like them both, but I'm gonna have to go with Nirvana. They were more influential

Each have their own style. Either you like them or you don't. Not one Band or Singer is better than any other with the exception of AC/DC. Axel Rose sucked when he sang for them. AC/DC needed someone closer to the sound of Bon Scott or Brian Johnson.

Damn that’s hard. I’m gonna go with Foo Fighters. 

Source(s): My opinion.
  • Andrew

Nirvana was infinitely superior to Foo Fighters. Where to even begin... The songwriting was leagues better... The atmosphere, the aura, the energy, the feel, the look, the sound, everything was better with Nirvana. 

Nirvana's music defined an entire generation. They were the Beach Boys of their time. Their quintessential release hit shelves in 1991 and stood as the benchmark for the entire decade. They had a distinctly American sound - there were elements of folk and punk rock...

No one would ever argue that Cobain was a technically gifted guitar player, but he certainly had a sense of melody and he has some true gems to his name. What he lacked in technique he more than made up for in melody. 

Foo Fighters are a terribly average band. They're forgettable. They don't matter. Dave Grohl needed to pay his mortgage and to eat so he decided to start up another project. Are they as bad as some of the bands that have had their 15 minutes? No, but I certainly wouldn't fork over $15 to buy their CD or $50 to see them in concert. 

Nirvana was a phenomenon. Foo Fighters was just a lame cash grab.   

• Sathi

Better is in the ear of the beholder. I like Nirvana’s “radio” songs more than the Foo’s.

• Nirvana. No contest.   Foo Fighters are not in the same league, their songwriting is laughable compared to Kurt Cobain and just the wrong side of Dad Rock for my liking.

theyre probably both good bands