Advantages and disadvantages of a chromebook over a desktop?
- 2 weeks ago
Some of the benefits of using Chromebook:
Inexpensive, Speedy Booting, Lightweight, Cloud-based Storage, Long Battery Life.
There are also some of the cons of using Chromebook:
Limited Storage, No Microsoft Office, Video Editing.
- LukeLv 74 weeks ago
There are no advantages to using a Chromebook.
- 4 weeks ago
Chromebook is designed to run on laptops with not so strong hardware internals. It is not made for heavy duty works like Video Editing, Gaming or even Image editing. It can only be used as a File Processing Device like working on Google Sheets, Google Docs or Slides or Web Browsing, and Web Based Work.
And When compared with Desktop, Desktop have a much more power than a Chromebook with better cooling, performance, better GPU and more RAM. But It is not portable and bulky as well when compared to the Slim Chromebook Notebook Laptops.
Both have there advantage and disadvantages, so choose one according to your need.
- keerokLv 71 month ago
Chromebooks are smaller, lighter, and cheaper. They are limited in terms of installable programs and applications. If you are mainly using the device for surfing the internet only, the Chromebook will do. If you intend to do more serious work like with office software, programming, graphics manipulation or, some video editing, you would need a more robust device like a laptop (or a desktop).
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 month ago
Pretty much what dewcons and Bill said. At the school district I work for, students get Chromebooks to do their online learning. I personally don't like Chromebooks because they're too limited for what I do. However, since the majority of the curriculum is web based, ChromeOS works good enough for 95% of students in our district. The remaining 5% get Windows laptops for specific courses that require Windows-only programs, mainly in C&TE courses.
- Bill-MLv 71 month ago
Advantages: It is a laptop and portable.
Disadvantages: Software download - Only from the Google Store. Not fully compatible
- dewcoonsLv 71 month ago
Currently we are having to have people do a lot of work from home. We have found that Chromebooks are a good way to manage this. They are cheap, so if something happens to them we are only out $100 not a thousand dollars. You can not save information on them, so we do not have to worry about the information being stolen off them. They can be set up with very limited features so that the user can ONLY work on them and not do all kinds of other things.
We set them up with RDS (Remote Desktop Services) so they can hook up to their "real" computer in their office and do all their actual work on the office computer remotely. Also a version of Teamviewer so that if they have issues we can connect with them to help them out. Beyond that, we restrict everything else.
If you are looking to do a Chromebook instead of a desktop or laptop for home usage, that is another issue. Chromebooks are limited to running apps and using programs that are on the Internet. Most games will not run a Chromebook. Most software will not run on a Chromebook. You are limited to what is available in the Google play store.
For someone like myself who does video editing, there is app that has 1/10th power of my PC software. Also I can not save files on the Chromebook. They all have to be in cloud storage which making editing almost impossible.
But if all you are going to do is Facebook and listen to music, they are a great alternative to a PC for a fraction of the price.
Think of them as a smart phone with a very big screen and no phone or camera, and you have what using a Chromebook is like.