Best major(s) to get into school libraries and/or museums and/or zoos and/or learning centers and/or state/national parks.?

I know that was a long read, but what I mean is, what is a good major (or two) that can lead me into a career in information/learning/academics/education? At this point I'm leaning into Social Studies Education with a minor in something else (perhaps Biology or English). It's also important to note that I've become hesitant on classroom instruction.

Would love to hear from everyone about their choices!

Favorite Answer

What county are you in?  In the U.S.:

1. To be a librarian you need a Masters in Library Science.  You can major in just about anything you want as an undergrad. To work as a library tech, you don't need any degree above high school.

2. To work in a zoo with animals, you'd need a degree in zoology.  If you want to work on events or people, you might need a degree in communication or business.

3. If you want to work in a museum, you'd probably need a degree in art history or natural science (for a natural science museum) or maybe archeology or art restoration.To give tours, you can be a docent (a volunteer) and other jobs don't require much if any degree.

3. To get a job in a nation park, you'd probably need a degree in forestry.

• John

If you are not familiar with her already, I would recommend you read about the rather unusual career of a young woman named Emily Graslie.  Starting out as an art student in college, a strange series of twists and turns resulted in a special position being created for her at a major natural history museum.  Her story may give you some ideas.