Does silicone caulk smell when heated?

I used silicone caulk in my car to fill in the gap between the radio and the dashboard, alot. This was done for sound dampening. I haven't noticed anything weird before, but almost a month later now and there was a horrible smell when I walked into my car like glue. My car was sitting in the sun and was a bit warm. Could it be the silicone?

There are two main types of silicone caulking. 

One releases acetic acid as it cures, giving a strong vinegar odour. That’s fine for bathrooms (but not along steel baths or shower trays), woodwork and general construction. 

The other type is more expensive but releases no acid. That’s what is intended for automotive use as the other type will corrode metal.

If your caulk is only in contact with plastics then the smell will *eventually* go but you’ll need to keep wiping the caulk with a damp cloth to remove the acid, when used as intended just using a bathroom and normal cleaning will rinse away the acetic acid from the surface of the caulk. But if it’s in contact with metal it will corrode it, even if the metal has been painted. 

• GF

Yes, it is the silicone 

Cured silicone has no odor 

Silicone is odorless after the acetic acid evaporates. That is the strong vinegar smell of fresh silicone caulk.