Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

Can a pinhole camera take clear photos?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not "clear" in the sense of what you get with a modern DSLR, but still, you can get some very nice photos with a pinhole camera. Much depends on the camera itself. There is far more to it than simply a box with a piece of film inside and a tiny hole in the front. I have one of the ZERO IMAGE pinhole cameras and have created what I feel are some of my best photos with it, even to the point of having nine of them on display in art galleries in Spain and France. You need to learn to use a light meter and then use a conversion chart for exposure times and to also add in time for reciprocity failure of the film. Here is a link to the excellent Zero Image cameras.           http://www.zeroimage.com/

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think so, but that really depends upon one's definition of "clear."

Here's a link to 500px.com showing images taken with pinhole cameras and cameras with pinhole adapters: https://500px.com/search?q=pinhole&type=photos&sor...

If you have an interchangeable lens camera, you can buy a body cap that has a pinhole in it, allowing you to take pinhole photos.

• Newton
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes it can of course, it is just not as high resolution as a photo taken with a good lens. If you have a camera with a removable lens, you can just put a lens cap on the camera, with a hole drilled into the cap, and voila, you have a pinhole camera.  In general, the smaller the hole, the sharper the image. However, there is a limit to how small the hole is before diffraction (the blending of light around the edge of an object) will start blurring the photo.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. In the hands of a good photographer you can get clear results, suits things like architectural subjects or landscapes rather than anything that moves, but with the kind of films that the early exponents could only dream of anything is possible. But pioneers of the technique like the Victorian artist George Davison, exploited the impressionistic effects that could be created on rough papers. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, but you need to understand how to deal with long exposure times.  If you're using film you may have to deal with reciprocity failure, so the exposure times can be a lot longer than you expect.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.