mi asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Since I'm pretty depressed, is it normal to feel like you just want to rest?

Basically I've went through years of undiagnosed depression and started getting treatment. I get grumpy when I'm tired and I annoyingly get tired very easily. I feel like I've come out of a war and constantly feel like just resting.

Whenever I do a chore when tired, I get in a really bad mood and instinctively start complaining and then feel bad about it because there's so much stigma towards what I'm going through.

I think I might have had ADHD or maybe ADD as a kid and didn't diagnose that either so it seemed I was just a thrill seeking, anxious, restless, stress prone, lazy and easily bored and distracted person for no reason.

What was the blame that was thought back then? My lack of activity and skepticism towards anything that seemed strange to me. It was usually seen as something I was doing wrong and something I should change, I couldn't. So it felt like weakness, this guilt built up into depression. This then made me feel worthless and talentless, so it made me skeptical in the hopes of avoiding looking silly.

Seems to be ADD though, I don't talk out of control or respond to impulses (although I do feel them), I actually struggle to speak much at all.

There are also times where I burn out so much that even simply thinking a little bit causes physical pain (obviously a headache.)

That sounds a lot like how I feel. 

People say, "I know there are things that will make me feel better - getting exercise, taking care of myself, straightening up the house and cleaning, but I'm depressed and I don't have the energy." The thing is, people do have energy when they're depressed - as much energy as they always do, but for some reason, the system is reluctant to let you use your energy.

We have to use psychology to coax energy out of our systems. Psychology has some nifty tricks.

There's a lot of things that can help with depression but there's no one size fits all solution. My recent answers have a lot of information about treatments and getting help. Click on my name and read. More in the link below.

I can tell you about some simple things that can help a lot with motivation. 

I was listening to a lecture by somebody who said he was a procrastinator, and he said that the problem with people like himself is that they need immediate gratification. This is interesting because the methods I've found that help with this problem provide immediate gratification.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Immediate gratification!

Reading - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.