Soul83 asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Feeling very inadequate?

I need some help to work on my mental health. I feel like I've reached a point where I just hate who I am. My stomach is so big and I've never been this fat. I'm embarrassed and scared when I seen my reflection this evening.

I'm sure that people judge me. I even don't want to be seen outside with my wife anymore. I've heard people make comments too.

I'm 37 and I've never been like this until now. I'm so embarrassed. I started intermittent fasting again and watching what I'm eating. Also doing more exercise. I know that will take time to work. But in the meantime I feel extremely uncomfortable both physically and worrying about my image.

Also my wife has recently called me dumb a lot. And now I think I can understand why. Like last night I wanted exercise after work and started to walk towards home. Its 12km away and I had hoped she would pick me up along the way since she took the car we share. But she refused and out of stubbornness I walked for 9.5km before she rang yelling at me for being so dumb to walk so far...

I look at a few things I've done and think I haven't organised the family well at all. Everything is a mess and that several things I've done represent someone who is truly dumb. I just don't know what to do. I've been surviving as best as I can going from day to day...

It is time to seek help.

Go to your doctor first.

The first step in making progress in your life is to recognize that there are problems. It took you 37 years to get where you are. They aren't going to be resolved in a few days or even a few weeks. Being impatient and talking about yourself in such negative terms is not helpful at all. I suggest you stop doing it. As long as you can look at yourself today and say I did better than yesterday you are making progress. I suggest you realize that and begin to adopt that mindset.