KC Splan asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Why do parents say this (please read thoroughly)?

"If you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to watch TV"

Meanwhile their child has an over 100.4 fever, bodily aches, and possibly a bucket to vomit in next to them. All of which warrants any school to send a kid home. 

I never had it happen to me. My mother was protective of me and my health but I've talked to people who had this said to them. 

I don't understand those parents thinking? 

So a sick child should just be miserable all day? Nice. Good thing I had a nurturing mother who let me watch movies while I was under the blankets with hot soup to eat and too weak to leave my bed. 

No anonymous. You don't get to tell another parent how to raise their children and BTW, I recovered just fine. It's ok to not like how they do it but if it's not your child then it's not your business. So my mom was NOT wrong and we can go back and forth on this all night if you want. 

Anonymous, my mom was not wrong and no you don't. Sorry. You're the one who is wrong here. 

Umm, why ask the question if you are going to reject the answers.  If you are sick you need to rest.

• Sarah

I think some parents who say that want to be sure the child isn't faking, and not allowing the child a goal of an entertaining day at home if they are not actually sick. If they find a child is actually sick, they try to make them happy. However, some parents who don't let their kids watch TV might want them to recover faster, or discourage them from faking sick in the future.

Just to be sure.

The answer to your question is that not all parents say this and the ones who do so do not say it all the time.  Parents would say this if they suspected that their child faked being sick so they could avoid school and instead stay home and do something more fun (like watch TV).  So they are disincentivizing the behavior by making staying home not any better than going to school, so the kids are less likely to lie about this again in the future.  Parents of kids who are truly too sick to go to school and/or do not have a habit of lying or trying to trick their parents in ways like this would NOT say this.

• not

I never had that happen to me. But that if you are too sick rule has been applied many times. Oh look no fever has been used, that's a game changer (warning: parents have thermometers that tell them your temperature). Not rewarding liars is a goal. Teaching responsibility is a goal. I'm trying to help a young man grow up right now, his mom gave him all the cuddles and none of the lessons. His brothers and sisters are 25 to 30 and still living off mom. Not prepared for life at all. 

I think it is possible that a parent who says that has been duped by a kid faking illness. I doubt many would do the same thing under the circumstances that you laid out.

If you're that sick, you should be SLEEPING, not watching TV

UPDATE 3: Basic medical science and biology is on my side. Your playground “nuh-uhhhh” defense is useless.

UPDATE 2: obviously you recovered or you wouldn’t be here having this discussion, but you would have recovered more quickly if she had made you rest. So yes she was wrong whether you like it or not. And further, of course it’s my business to say what I said since you’re the one who brought up the entire topic in public asking for our opinions.

UPDATE: your mom was wrong. When she allowed you to sit up and watch TV, she caused your recovery to take quite a bit longer. Her intentions were good, but she goofed up.

*sigh* they’re not telling you you have to go to school, doofus, they’re telling you that if you are that sick, you shouldn’t be up watching TV. You should be laying in bed recovering.

• Robert

So you're make a judgement based upon second hand claims from a youngster who very well may have faked an illness to get out of school, which would be the reason a parent might make up the "too sick to watch tv" scenario.  Interesting.