Anonymous

If America didn't go through slavery, would there still be racism?

The other day, I was just walking with my friend who is asian to a convenient store and some homeless people were trying to spit on us and were making racial attacks (the homeless people were white).  I understand this covid is making problems towards asians even more angrier but asian-americans also have to deal with this covid....everyone is.   

Update:

Also, another incident happened when I was picking up my Chinese food and I overheard one of the owners was talking on the phone and you can hear on the other line some idiot making racial slangs and the owner told the person to never call again.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Sure.  Racism is more ancient and wide spread than the USA. It used to be much more extreme.   Example:  The British and the French.   The Japanese still consider themselves to be superior.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes, the blacks will always hate the whites

• 1 month ago

No, absolutely not.  Racism was invented in America, it only exists there, and never happened before slavery.  Everyone who reports the news knows this for a fact.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes there still would be racism even if slavery didn't happened. The reason being is that racism is ultimately a power struggle between different groups of people. Asian Americans are discriminated now because China is associated with covid, and Americans associate Asian Americans with China despite their ethnic background. Once the pandemic ends the racism towards Asians will go down. Just like how people weren't racist against Arabs before 9/11, but that changed due to US conflict in the Middle East. Or how people discriminated against Germans and Japanese Americans during WW2, but since the war is over so did tensions with those groups. People use slavery to remind people of racism in America, because slavery started centuries long struggle between different groups of people, specifically the black-white dichotomy in America. And people not knowing how to fully integrarte a persecuted group of people that had a visible phenotype disgusting their class made it difficult. Also how extremists on both sides exacerbated bipartisan tension sometimes with violence which only made it worst, also how slavery had an deep intrinsic impact on social and economic structure in America especial in the deep south.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • not
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It existed long before America. The people who created America actually learned it from others. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

idk, are we counting Natives as Asians here?

Seems there was racism in the US even without talking about blacks.

And there's that whole thing Spanish speaking stuff too. Although technically it's not racism, it plays out the same way.

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, racism still would exist, as shown by other examples of discriminated minorities, whose ancestors didn't serve as slaves previously in their history.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

yes, big time............................

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Racism is a right wing ideology, so as along as there are right wingers there will be racism

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.