Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 month ago

What is the underworld in Greek Mythology? ?

Some people say that it's Hades but isn't Hades just the name of the God of the underworld? I've also heard Erebus but Erebus is also a God name. I've also heard Tartarus which is the prison of the Titans but I'm not sure if Tartarus is the underworld.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Most of the underworld in Greek myths is the house or realm of Hades that lies beyond the River Styx. Only Charon and his boat can move in the River Styx.. Three gods split the universe. Zeus is lord of Olympus the Greek Heaven, Poseidon is lord of the seas, and Hades is lord of the underworld where dead people go. All of them have equal power on Earth.  The Titans and some wicked humans are in Tartarus, while some blessed humans are in the Elysian fields or the Isles of the Blessed. A few favorites of the gods are   in Olympus with the gods, e.g. Heracles. 

• 1 month ago

The underworld itself—sometimes known as Hades, after its patron god—is described as being either at the outer bounds of the ocean or beneath the depths or ends of the earth.

• 1 month ago

From everything I remember, it's just the underworld.  That's the whole name.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Underworld was ruled by Hades and its entrance was guarded by Cerberus, the three-headed dog.  The Underworld was surrounded by rivers and divided into different areas with the Elysium Fields being the place for heroes and those mortals who had been favoured by the gods. . For some of those in the Elysium Fields it was granted that they could drink from the water of the river Lethe and could either return to the mortal world or forget that they were dead (the myths are quite clear on this) According to the Greek myths the Underworld was a cheerless and sunless place.  Tartarus was as much below the Underworld as heaven was above the earth.  It was the place of punishment for mortals as well as some of the Titans. The best way to think of the Underworld is to imagine it looking like an island continent with roads leading to the various regions. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • IOM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Greek underworld is an otherworld where souls go after death. The original Greek idea of afterlife is that, at the moment of death, the soul is separated from the corpse, taking on the shape of the former person, and is transported to the entrance of the underworld. Good people and bad people would then separate. 

The underworld itself—sometimes known as Hades, after its patron god—is described as being either at the outer bounds of the ocean or beneath the depths or ends of the earth. 

It is considered the dark counterpart to the brightness of Mount Olympus with the kingdom of the dead corresponding to the kingdom of the gods. Hades is a realm invisible to the living, made solely for the dead.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.