Math problem, diagram provided. Can anyone help?

Attachment image

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

A scaled copy means all the ratios are preserved. For example if you had a rectangle of length 2 and width 1, every scaled copy of it would have the length twice the width (in this case), i.e. would preserve the ratio

length:width= 2:1

If you look at Figure A in the image each 'bend', so to speak, is one unit in length, i.e. if you go around the figure it's: 1 vertical length, 1 horizontal length, 1 vertical length, etc. always the same quantity for horizontal then vertical then horizontal, etc.

The only other image that preserves this is Figure D: 2 vertical then 2 horizontal, etc.

At first glance you make think perhaps that B is also a scaled image, but if you follow the above reasoning you'll see it isn't, because it goes 1 vertical, 2 horizontal, 2 vertical, 1 horizontal, etc.

So as far as I can tell, they are both wrong.

• 1 month ago

Only D is a scaled copy of A.

In a scaled copy, *every* linear measurement has to be scaled by the same amount.

In A, all the edges of the cross are 1 unit long. In D, all the edges are now 2 units long; they are all 2 times as big.

So D is correct.

B has the sides of the cross doubled, but not the ends (they're still 1 unit wide).

C has the ends of the cross doubled, but not the sides.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.