Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why do people underestimate the Russian language?

It is the 2nd language with more content on the internet, obviously behind English.

MARK: people are generally not interested in learning it.

Possibly because Russia is seen as such a comic presence in the international scene. 

For instance: Its athletes are banned as national representatives because of doping scandals. It poisons 'undesirable' people at home and abroad (The Skripals in Salisbury, UK, for instance).

The people I know who know Russian don't underestimate it.

The people I know who don't know Russian have no particular feeling about it.

So, who are all these people so busy "underestimating" Russian? And indeed, what do you actually MEAN by "underestimate"?

Zac Z has more patience than I have, and you should read his excellent answer very carefully.

PS It occurs to me that if you are Russian yourself, you may simply have mistranslated the Russian verb "otsenivat". A better translation would be "appreciate". Why don't more people appreciate the Russian language? or Why don't people place a higher value on Russian?

I can honestly say I have never underestimated the Russian language.

• Zac Z

I was thinking about your question for a while and I think there are quite a number of different aspects that play a role. If I went into detail about each of them, I'd end up writing an essay so I'll mention just a few things in a compressed way.

First of all, the fact that people aren't learning Russian isn't that remarkable. In countries like the US, many people don't learn ANY other language, many people know one or two other languages but the number of languages that are universally learned is very limited. Yes, most people aren't learning Russian, but they are also not learning Korean, Hindi, or Finnish. Let alone Guaraní, Dinka, or Basque.

So, rather than asking "Why are people not interested in learning Russian?" it would be more informative to ask "Why do people learn other languages? And how do they decide which language they are going to learn?".

The reason why Russian doesn't make the cut as often as some other languages are due to several factors, I guess. There are political, economical and cultural reasons but also more trivial ones like the fact that many people think that Russian doesn't sound too beautiful or, more reasonably, that Russian is not the easiest language to learn due to some grammatical difficulties but also because it's using a different alphabet which is a discouragement to many.

• MARK

As underestimate has several meanings you would have to say what you actually mean.

I think they don't ...

• Zirp

chauvinists underestimate and disrespect EVERY language that isn't their preferred one

Interesting information, thank you for sharing it.. I couldn't believe such information so I had to double check on wikipedia and indeed you were right.. however,  Russian might be second but wayyyyy behind the English language... 60% of websites are in english.... whereas only 9% are in russian... so yes, russian is in second place... but wayyy behind the english language... but anyways, interesting information...My assumption was that Chinese or Spanish were in second place.

Now, I guess people underestimate languages that are only spoken in one nation... now, I know Russian is also spoken in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan however most people don't consider those nations to be famous... the only famous or popular country that speaks Russian is Russia.  

Some people choose to learn mandarin... a language which is only spoken in China... however China's population is 10 times larger than Russia's.