Why my wood doesn't catch on fire? What am I doing wrong?!?

I picked up some wood from 2 different people's houses who cut down their trees. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is but it's small a rather thin tree.. the diameter is about 3 inches on average. It is very hard to get this wood to catch on fire. 4 out of 5 times I ended up giving up and just poured lit charcoal on it just to get it to burn and give off that amazing wood buring smell at least. Even with the lit orange charcoal surrounding the wood it still doesn't catch on fire instead just burns a little and give off this very strong and nice buring smell. It smells so strong and the smell is so good. Smells like some kind of men's shower gel or something. I swear, that good. 

Can anyone help me out with what my problem here is? Why have I failed to get this wood to catch on fire 4 out of 5 times? Could it just be that this wood is just not suitable for burning? Any help and guidance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

How long would it take to dry up? And is there anything I need to do other than just leave it out exposed to the elements?

It's freshly cut and the wood is still green with much moisture in it. You'll need to let it sit until it dried which will take around a year.

It is green wood (also called wet)  If it  has stringy bark, it is CEDAR.  They grow in swamps and bogs so are EXTREMELY WET.  iT IS SLICK WET.  Like pavement after a rain. It is not dry to sit on.

. They sell cedar chips in the store that is dried cedar made for the BBQ for Cedar smoked Salmon.   It is not a wood that catches on fire at all.  It is the worst for a campfire unless you like a TON OF SMOKE. and no heat.

.  Cedars are like willow trees--their sap is basically water. Not pitch.

Collect the small sticks. At least they dry the fastest. and may light.

If you are trying to light up moist wood, you will not succeed. Allow the wood to completely dry in the sun and the store it in a dry place. 

The wood is green, the trees must have been alive when cut down. The wood should dry for at least a year. Small wood that is not split may take even longer .

Do not leave it out exposed to rain. Just stack it and leave it under cover for a year to dry out. 

it probably is far too green to burn properly.  in the area, i'm familiar with, wood for burning is elft stacked [under cover] outside for six months to a year or longer before burning.  And this is the house's primary heat source, so they're careful to do it right

• Edwena

The wood is still green and your fire is not hot enough.  Let the wood dry out for a few months and it will be easier to burn.

• Mark

It's still probably wet inside.  Do you think soggy newspaper should burn, also?