Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

Does wine choice with meat make a flavor difference or is it etiquette?

Favorite Answer

Dirac is a paid troll.

supposedly, the tannins of red wine, especially those aged in oak, react with the omega 3 fatty acids of seafood to create a bitter taste. 

that's why they say to drink white wines with seafood, but there is that one red wine exception: Gamay Beaujolais especially the Nouveau as they have the least aging & lowest tannins and can be served with seafood. I treat Beaujolais as I would a white wine and prefer them chilled.  

Red wines & some Chardonnays & Retsina pair well with meats & sauces & spices.  In this category I base it on the acidity of the wine. To me, low acid reds like tempranillo, oak aged chardonnays & greek retsina help to mellow spices.  While high acid reds like cabernets, pinots, merlots, & my personal favorite: zinfandels are truly made to drink with red meat. 

And don't forget the sweeter wines: rieslings, liebfraumilch, meads (made from honey), ciders (apples) & perrys (pears), and fruit wines all pair well with cheeses, fruits, nuts, pastries, coffees, and vegetable trays as an appetizer before the meal or as a part of the dessert course (when I would add to the list german eiswein and/or fortified wines such as port, sherry, madiera, & distilled wines like brandy, grappa, armanac, etc. as potential offerings)

In the old days that's when the cigars would be offered.   

• F

Wine is all about snobbery. Drink what you like, not what someone tells you to drink.

It does make a flavour difference, but, the etiquette difference is not as strong as it used to be.  E.g., if you want to drink white wine while eating beef, go ahead.  In the opinions of many, taste works better with red wine, but, many people prefer white, and it is okay to drink it with beef.  If you really want to.

Both, to some extent. But, unless you want to be considered rather snobbish, drink what suits you, don't toady to fashion.

• kswck2

It can Compliment the dish, but make it taste Better? No. 

yes if you know your wines which I dont but we did a lot of parings in culinary school. Not a big wine guy.

• Anton

The flavor does matter.  However, personal choice trumps.