Can you help with advice about what to do about this job?

I work with a patient that’s a couple of years older than me. 

I’m 29 and she’s 33.

I’m slowly becoming frustrated with her. 

She’s in her right mind and functional.

However, she’s a user.

She’s always asking me to buy her things ( Jordan’s, food, birthday cake, she has asked me to take her grocery shopping) she ask to go places but don’t want to pay or have money. Mind you- she gets checks every month but blow them. 

Every single time, I bring my lunch she begs for it. Like ooh what are you eating or can I have some or why didn’t u bring me any. Anything I take out she wants. Even if I have eaten off of it. 

I even wait until she eats and she’s still looking at what I got or bring. 

She babysits her niece who’s one everyday. When the baby needs to be changed she tries to give me a diaper and I’ve told her no constantly or want me to walk every diaper to the trash.

She told me the other day that the other nurses cooks and buys her things. 

Then before, she tried to play in my hair, touch my arm and put her hand on my mine. When I I’ve told her to stop. 

I’m just becoming really fed up.

Favorite Answer

You needed to set boundaries from the very beginning. You do NOT pay for anything for her out of your pocket. If your job includes taking her to stores, she pays. Make sure you have no money or credit cards on you (or say you don't have it). Eat your lunch in your car, somewhere on your break time, and do not provide anything. In fact, those who hire in-home care typically provide their caregiver's lunch/dinner, etc. Mention your other patients provide YOUR lunch, etc!

Find another job. Meanwhile, set those boundaries & stick to them.

Bit confused by this. You claim to care for a patient. But that patient is able to babysit a one year old every day??? But can't go grocery shopping alone same needs a carer??

• Eva

Have you spoken with her other nurses to see if the same things go on with them?  She sounds like she has some kind of mental illness or is extremely lonely.  She also doesn't respect boundaries, perhaps because she was never given any.

Why are you caring for a person who is functional enough to be allowed to care for he niece?