How do you pronounce "allowed"?

It seems like "allowed" and "allow" have the same sound. Do you agree? How do you speak?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

D is almost gone when you say someone is ALLOWED TO do something because the D sound is absorbed into the next T sound.  However, allow and allowed are pronounced differently, just like car and card.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You simply add a "D" sound to "allow".  Think of the second syllable as sounding like the word "loud".

• 1 month ago

It's pronounced the same as "aloud".  The "d" on the end is important. There is no "d" on the end of "allow" but you must pronounce the "d" on the end of "allowed".

• 1 month ago

I definitely pronounce the "d" in allowed. I'm not sure whether you're saying this is true for the USA or for other English-speaking countries. As for the USA, I've never heard anyone leave out the "d" in such words.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't know of any English accent or dialect in which those two are pronounced the same. Where did you hear somebody saying "allowed" as if it were "allow"? 

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When I speak I hope I speak fairly precisely, thus I do slightly sound the '-ed' at the end of 'allowed'.

• 1 month ago

Allow is "allow'd."  They do not sound the same.

• 1 month ago

If you mean "allowed" and "aloud," yes, I pronounce these the same.  "Allowed" is distinctly different in the ending sound, and a native English speaker can usually pick that up.

• 1 month ago

allow-duh  The "ed" on the end takes the sound of "duh".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.