How do you pronounce "allowed"?

It seems like "allowed" and "allow" have the same sound. Do you agree? How do you speak?

Favorite Answer

D is almost gone when you say someone is ALLOWED TO do something because the D sound is absorbed into the next T sound.  However, allow and allowed are pronounced differently, just like car and card.

• Lili

You simply add a "D" sound to "allow".  Think of the second syllable as sounding like the word "loud".

It's pronounced the same as "aloud".  The "d" on the end is important. There is no "d" on the end of "allow" but you must pronounce the "d" on the end of "allowed".

I definitely pronounce the "d" in allowed. I'm not sure whether you're saying this is true for the USA or for other English-speaking countries. As for the USA, I've never heard anyone leave out the "d" in such words.

I don't know of any English accent or dialect in which those two are pronounced the same. Where did you hear somebody saying "allowed" as if it were "allow"? 

• John P

When I speak I hope I speak fairly precisely, thus I do slightly sound the '-ed' at the end of 'allowed'.

Allow is "allow'd."  They do not sound the same.

If you mean "allowed" and "aloud," yes, I pronounce these the same.  "Allowed" is distinctly different in the ending sound, and a native English speaker can usually pick that up.

allow-duh  The "ed" on the end takes the sound of "duh".