Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Can I get my drivers license in TN if my permit is expired and I’m over 18?

I’m 21 and my permit expires on 9/30/2020 but I won’t be able to take the actual road test until sometime next month when I get back in town. I’ve been trying to call to ask but it’s always busy or no answer. Since I’m over 18 could I just schedule/walk in and take the road test since I’ve already taken the knowledge test? I can’t find too much info about it online.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If your permit is expired, you can't even begin the test.  Expired only means one thing, even when you're over 18.

Your only hope is that your state is allowing an extension / exemption on expiry dates due to Covid-19.  And the only way to know that for sure is to call and ask.

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Everyone of any age needs a valid learners permit.  A expired permit won't work.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sure, as soon as you get a new permit. You can't take the driving test without one.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Cannot take the road test without a permit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, but no walk-ins. It has to be scheduled, and with an expired permit you'll need to take certain required documents with you. See Page 22 of the Tennessee Driver's Manual. You should have optained a copy of it  to study in order to obtain your original permit. 

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It says right there in the manual that you can't drive on a public road without a permit and accompanied by a legally licensed adult in the car. Now, how would you be able to take a driving test?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have to start all over again by getting your permit by taking the written test first.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.