East
East asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Worth it to tell my gym that I'm not renewing my membership because of one obnoxious member?

I've been a member of my neighborhood gym for 5 years and, before Covid-19, went every day.

One lady at the gym, "Karen", is totally obnoxious: she fights with people, hits on men (including me) and makes a big show of herself.  A personal trainer told me that she fights with everyone, and I then noticed.

I'm not renewing my gym membership.  Until it gets cold, I'll just work out outside; when it's cold, I'll use my home gym.  And at some point I'll join another gym at a private club that I belong to.

Appropriate for me to tell my gym that I'm not renewing my membership because of "Karen"?  That is true; I can't stand the thought of going to the gym and seeing her.  I don't care what the gym thinks of me for saying that.

Thanks.

• HMFan
    Favorite Answer

I would say that since you have no investment with this person, it can’t hurt to mention that she is the reason why you are not renewing (don’t be surprised if they say you’re not the first person to tell them this...) This is a very touchy subject nowadays as it seems that everyone is trying to police everyone ELSE’S behavior. HOWEVER, if she has annoyed you as well as others as is claimed, the gym might be losing business because this one person does not know how to properly comport herself in public. Essentially: she is affecting their bottom line. The chances of them discontinuing her membership is unlikely because they would need good reason to do as such (she would need to be caught in the act of stealing from someone’s locker or physically assaulting someone). Unfortunately, “being overly obnoxious” isn’t sufficient grounds for dismissal. BUT, if ENOUGH complaints have been logged against her, they may use that as a reason to cancel her membership... and summarily get slapped with a lawsuit from said Karen. Whether or not you tell the gym reason WHY you’re leaving is up to you, but it’s certainly within your right to do so and leaving is certainly better for your mental well-being.

It is totally appropriate.  They have the right to know what is driving away their business so they can deal with the problem.

• drip

Yes tell the manager before you quit. 

What if everyone who is really bothered by the person would speak up to management. You can’t be the only one there is so annoyed you are thinking of quitting.  

Give management a chance to do something about it. 

I would assume the gym is closed now? Perhaps when it reopens she will have drifted off elsewhere  and your problem will be solved.

• bill

Tell the manager before you decide to quit.Let him pull her aside privately if he will do so and tell her he's had anonymous complaints.See what happens.

Don't say anything unless the management asks for a reason.

Ultimately, you need to do what is right for you.  There is no obligation to tell your gym why you are not renewing your membership so decide how much emotional attention you want to give this matter, and then follow through accordingly.

• John P

If Karen has affected you (and others) so greatly then most certainly mention it to the staff as you leave.

i would just turn her in and let her be the one leaving

Yes, you should. It's probably good to phrase it that you don't wish to tolerate the behavior rather than saying she's an a$$hole.

Not required but completely helpful to provide an explanation why.  The gym needs to know so that it can decide to take steps to prevent anyone else leaving or possibly doing something to retain your membership or be successful inviting you back.  That being said, they might identify you as the Karen instead.