Enlisting in the military?

I am wanting to join the air force. I'm just trying to lose a couple more pounds before MEPS. I'm in college until december, and told I can go into the Delayed Entry Program and leave afterwards. Do they ask you at MEPS whether or not I want to do DEP or am I automatically put in it? I do not want to be tricked into joining sooner.

• ?

Everyone enlisted into Active Duty US Air Force goes into DEP, there is NO choice involved. You can be in DEP for up to a year depending on your actual personal situation. I don't know about "tricking", that's up to you, your recruiter, your personality and mental albities.

How many f**kimg times are you going to ask this question. You’ve been told every time what the process is.  You’ve already spoken to a recruiter and should know these things. EVERYONE is in DEP until they leave.  You can be in DEP up to a year depending on multiple factors including losing weight. If you are below the max weight you are fine. 

Please again don’t join you are going to whine and complain the whole enlistment. 

everyone goes into DEP

you probably couldn't go to basic this year, even if you wanted too

• Mrsjvb

Everyone spends time in DEP.  max time allowed is 12 months.  Shortest time is about a week.  They will work with you to an extent around your current schedule/ needs.  In other words they will not give you any options that ship out before December.

Just keep in mind that means you may end up with few choices, or waiting until neXt Spring before you do leave for Basic

• Kathy

You can ask them about it.