Is having your own router as DNS server faster/better than Google?

In the network settings you can set DNS servers. Most people who do not even know what DNS means have this setting to "automatically". In my case I don't because the automatic setting is not always giving the best solution. Also giving each device on the network it's own IP number is something I do. But aside from that I have a question on my mind regarding DNS:

So DNS (Direct Name Service) is nothing else but a database that links a web address (for exampe facebook.com) to an IP number. That's it. My question is:

What is faster: Having this setting on your own router (the default gateway) or use the one from Google (which is 8.8.8.8)? My 2nd DNS setting is always set to Google's second DNS 8.8.4.4.

But if my router has this option to do so, would it not be much faster than getting the information all the way from Google? Since my network is 1Gbit, and my download speed is 'only' 250Mbit.

---- edit ---

@VP - Thanks for the information. And actually we were both wrong, DNS means Domain Name System, lol, anyway the workings are clear. And you make a valid point a router is not made to keep all that information. So sticking with the primary of Google is the best option I guess.

• VP
    Favorite Answer

1. When you set your (home) router to be the primary DNS server, what actually happens is that your router uses your ISP's DNS server.  Since there's no possible way to load your router with 10 million Internet IPs and URL's, your router isn't actually performing any DNS duties.

2. DNS means: Domain Name Service

3. Giving out IPs is the function of a DHCP server, not a DNS server.

• BigE

Of course the network response is slightly faster to use your own DNS, probably a few milliseconds.  Google probably has a larger hit cache, so that is a plus in Google's favor.

But the answers for DNS should be the same.  I like to use the local DNS simply because that is a service from the ISP, so when the network goes down your DNS still works (maybe) you get server timeout instead of DNS error.

Why do you care?  What is with all the DNS troll questions lately?

• Lisa A

Where are you going to get your DNS data from?