Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

I think my dentist does unnecessary root canals. If the nerve isn't even exposed, why drill down to it, exposing it, to do a root canal?

I say that the root is not exposed because there's never been any pain. I forgot to ask him when he looked at it. The back part of a cuspid broke off. Upon inspection, the dentist said, "You'll probably need a root canal." Why "probably?" Why wouldn't he be sure, yes or no? At what point is he suppose to know? It's real suspicious. I've had other dentists that just do crowns without having to do a root canal too. I think this guy is just trying to pocket more cash. I keep going to him cause he seems to do good work. I have way too many crowns, but the ones he's done have held up so far. He once called himself 'conservative' but didn't explain what that means. I think he said something about how if bacteria gets under the crown, it can work it's way down the canal and cause big problems. But if such insurance were necessary to make sure, every crown would have a root canal. I thought the idea of a good crown is that it doesn't leak, and bacteria can't get inside. 

• 2 days ago

Oral irrigators online store from https://irrigator.ru/

• hihi!

Chemistry of the mouth is as varied as personalities. SOME people may get away with crowns for 30 to 40 yrs. Others may fail within 5 years.

Just by looking at a tooth, l could often judge whether or not endodontic treatment was necessary. I was only a dental assistant. Of course x-rays provided a better assessment. Sometimes when a decayed tooth is cleaned for a restoration, the pulp chamber though close, is not breached. An insulating layer is applied before the final restoration (filling or crown) to help prevent cold or heat shock, resulting in discomfort. 

Being conservative means he will do a proper job of dental care without unnecessary treatments.  

Have you had recent x-rays of this tooth? If so, the dentist should have a good idea of the situation. Sometimes though there is decay that may be hard to see or there is a question of whether the root will be exposed while preparing the tooth for a crown.

• Barry

Change your dentist. Although I think he is better placed than you to judge what's needed.

• kelvin

see a better dentist